Monday, February 16, 2009

Great Race, Hooked on Trails Now

This past December, I tried the trails at Wyandotte County Park during the Alternate Chili Run. I was naive - never thinking it would take over two hours to run the loop. After six or seven miles, I was tapped out, barely able to slog up the hills. I don't know exactly how long it took me to complete the course, but I think maybe 2:20 or 2:25. I was done for the day, too tired to do anything else.

Call me a fool, but a few days later I signed up for the 10-mile version of the KC Trail Nerds Psycho Wyco Run, Toto, Run.

Fast-forward to this past Saturday, the day of the race. I'd gotten a couple trail training runs in at Shawnee Mission Park and Kill Creek (solo runs, 60 - 90 minutes), maybe a couple runs 60+ minute runs on park paths, and one or two bike rides in the 2 -3 hour range. I was hoping to hit the 2:00 mark or be close to it. On the other hand, we had plans for the evening and I didn't want to be wiped out like the first time.

I started out running slowly, caught up in the pack. I think it was a mile or so out on the course before I didn't have to stop an wait for traffic in front of me. It was colder than the previous time, with some ice on the single-track and a bit of mud on the bridle path. I suppose the course was a lot muddier by the second and third loops, but I didn't get very mudded up.

I was worried about water, so I decided to run with my camelback. I'd tried a couple training runs wearing it, had no problems with it moving around or anything like that. However, when I tried to take some water during the run, I found that the gatorade I'd mixed got frozen in the tube. Turned out to be a non-problem - water and cups were available at the aid station, along with gel packs. I'd never had one of those, so I figured it was a good time to try one. If I puked, it would look better on a race course than during a normal training run. Turns out they are pretty good, although I think they're probably easier to use when it's warmer.

I tend to worry about falling, but after a while, I picked up the pace a few times where I found footing good enough. Turns out I could have picked up the pace a few more times. I was way fresher than I expected at the finish, finishing in 1:59:41. I'm sure I could have done 5 more miles, maybe even a full second loop, without too much trouble. A third loop? Not yet.

Me - Up, up, up the hill we go

Post-race, I pulled on some warmer clothing, downed some awesome black bean soup, and watched people running through for laps 2 and 3. The day was made even better when I scored a water bottle belt thingy in a drawing. I'll have to go back to Dynamic Earth and buy something.

Excellent race, well-marked course, great day, great sponsors/volunteers. Now there's no way I won't be looking for that first 50k, 50-mile, and whatever comes after that.

0 Comments:

blogger templates | Make Money Online